“Many thanks for all your excellent support and guidance in developing our newsletter. With your guidance and Sharon’s excellent local leadership our offer has been transformed!” Peter Chivers, Head of Music & Arts, Brighton and Hove City Council.
Peter Chivers, head of Brighton and Hove Music & Arts, approached me following a recommendation from leadership consultant Marc Jaffrey. He was looking for some ‘light touch’ help in developing regular email communications with staff, partners and external stakeholders in SoundCity, the city’s music education hub.
Following a Skype meeting, we agreed a programme of support over six weeks to develop the first SoundCity enewsletter, and subsequent lighter touch help for the two following enewsletters.
The aim was to gradually coach Sharon Murrell, the team member responsible for communications, to be able to take on the newsletters herself. The work included:
• providing guidelines (editorial process and guidelines for contributors) and a framework to ensure the newsletter process was effective, efficient and clearly communicated
• setting up a timeline for the first and future enewsletters
• working with Sharon to set up a MailChimp enews system and templates
• editing articles from a variety of partners in the Hub
• providing telephone support/coaching for Sharon in how to edit and bring out key messages, use MailChimp effectively including creating and using templates, and monitor/analyse responses
SoundCity is now able to communicate regularly with all those involved in the Hub, letting people know about news and opportunities, telling the stories behind the work, and advocating the value and impact of the Hub.
Anita has since also worked with Marc and the team on editing a report for the Our Future City programme.
Other enewsletters work